Chicken Broth Can Chicken  

Posted by Matt in

Like one of those beer can chickens you read about but using a can of chicken broth instead. Oh, also it was smoked.


First I started off with a dry rub that I applied the night before.

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 T salt

1 T black pepper

1 T chili powder

1 T paprika

1 T garlic powder

1 T crushed rosemary

I dried off the chicken with a paper towel and then applied all the rub all over, under the arms, around the legs, but not inside the chicken. I let that sit in the Frigidaire till about 2:30pm the next day.

At that time, I turned on one side of my grill on to low and placed a few dry mesquite chips on the grill.

I then peeled off all the paper off a can of chicken broth. I opened the can almost all the way but left a the cap still attached. To increase the flavor of the broth, I poured 1/4 out and filled it back up with cider vinegar. I cut off some rosemary, thyme, oregano, and sage from my garden and placed these in the can. Then I carefully inserted the chicken on top of the can onto a pan where I left the chicken innards to cook.



I then placed an 1/8 of an orange into the neck hole.

Here is a list of those ingredients:

1 whole chicken

1 can chicken broth

1/4 cup vinegar

rosemary sprig

thyme sprig

oregano sprig

sage sprig

1 orange


I then placed the chicken on the non-heat side of the grill. Every 45 mins or so, I added some more mesquite to the grill and squeezed the remainder of the orange to add some moisture to the out side.

























After about 2 1/2 hours the internal temp was between 180 and 190 degrees. I let this sit for about 15 minutes while I roasted some corn, unhusked, on full heat for the same time. To access the meat, I just used a set of tongs. The meat and bones just fell apart which I took as a good sign.



On my plate here, I was sampling a BBQ sauce I made in the lowest right corner, and then one of my favorite sauces, Sweet Baby Ray's, in the top right corner, and a plain leg behind the corn.

This entry was posted on Friday, August 1, 2008 at Friday, August 01, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

I'm going to be honest with you here Stew, you are not receiving the maximum possible points for plating on this one.

August 3, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Well I suppose if I wanted to, I could have constructed a gaint phallic tower with the corn cob using the meats to prop it up. But seeing as I had many different items to eat for dinner, I put a sampling of each.

August 5, 2008 at 6:53 PM

You've got some odd ideas about plating.

August 5, 2008 at 9:50 PM

I'm gonna have to agree with Mike on this on Stewsy. It's a little grungy on the plating.

August 7, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Post a Comment