Caribbean Pork With Blackbean And Peach Relish  

Posted by Jeremy



Yeah, the pictures aren't gonna win any prizes, so what? Wanna fight about it? Listen all, its been a little while since my last post, and by "little while" I mean what, like 2/3rds of a year or something? Maybe I feel like a bit of a sloth for it, but it's okay. You forgive me.

This was pretty much what the title suggests. Can't give you exact measurements for anything, I winged it pretty hard here. Basically it went like this:

-4 small boneless pork loin chops, cubed.
-1/2 a medium yellow onion, diced.
-2 decent size peaches, chopped.
-1 jalapeno, completely emasculated by de-seeding and de-veining (because that woman o' mine is the wimp that other wimps call a wimp.)
-1 can of sweet corn, drained.
-1 can of black beans, drained.
-rice
-1 very ripe/black plantain.
-ground ginger, ground allspice, salt, black pepper, brown and white sugar.
-vegetable oil, olive oil.

More or less what I did was dust the pork cubes in cornstarch and fry them in very hot oil to blacken them a bit, and then reduced the heat to medium/medium-high. I had already mixed all the produce but the plantains in a bowl with a bit of salt, pepper, and olive oil. The resulting relish was added to the pork skillet. In another pan I added the plantains which I had dusted with light brown sugar into some medium-high heat vegetable oil. They cooked approximately 2-3 minutes per side, and were pulled out when they were dark and almost amber in color. The pork and relish cooked for about 10 minutes I think. It was plated on a bed of white rice, and then the plantains (or maduros as the dish is actually called) on the side. I gave another quick dusting to the maduros with white sugar this time and a bit of salt after they were hot and just out of the oil. I meant to hit the whole dish with some lime juice just as it was done, but I forgot to do that.

That's it. That's all. It was good. Amber liked it. Dust it off, and ring the bell!

This entry was posted on Sunday, July 5, 2009 at Sunday, July 05, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment