Island Party!  

Posted by Jeremy in ,



Pictured here: Mofongo, Frijoles con Dulce, Griot Fried Pork, Fried Fish Escovitch, Hawaiian Fruit Dip, and a weird kind of Fruit Breakfast Pizza. It was a pretty solid party, though as you can see, our output wasn't as high this time around. We had some people drop the ball. I'll let other people post their recipes should they want to. I made the Fried Fish Escovitch.

Basically I looked at a ton of recipes for how to do it, and then I just winged it. I started with 3 beautiful whole Red Snapper, scored the flesh so it would take my dry rub better, seasoned them with salt, pepper, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, a tiny bit of ground allspice, and thyme. Then I fried them in a very hot skillet in vegetable oil for roughly 4-5 minutes per side. At the same time, I brought a sauce pan of white vinegar to a boil, and to this I added green bell pepper, onion, carrot, and 2 whole habanero peppers, seeds in, allspice, orange and grapefruit juice, thyme. Pulled the fish out, slapped the sauce on, and called it done.

It was pretty good. Only real thing I totally botched was I took the butcher's word for it about him having deboned the fish, and so it was a little tricky to eat with all the picking around you had to do. On a side note: I'm pretty sure it is, or should be illegal to boil habaneros in vinegar. The resulting fumes are toxic.

This entry was posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 at Monday, August 24, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment