Moroccan Vegetable Stew (with chicken)  

Posted by Matt


1 Tbs olive oil
2 carrots (cut into rounds)
1 butternut squash (seeded, skinned and cut into chunks)
1 onion chopped
15 oz can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
14.5 oz stewed tomatoes
1/2 -1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 Tbs Chinese Five Spice (or combination of Cinnamon, all spice and ginger)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 chicken breasts (seasoned with similar spices)
2 cups long grain rice
water and salt

I made the rice like normal. Seasoned the chicken and pan fried them on each side for 4 minutes or so.

In a very large pan, I sauteed the carrots, squash, onion, and red pepper flakes in the olive oil. Once they were soft, I added the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, dried cranberries and spices. After mixing it up and allowing the spices to mix with the hot oil, I covered it all in the chicken broth and added salt to taste. It was about a nice stew consistency, but maybe a bit light on the liquid.
Once the chicken was done, I chopped it up and added it to the stew. About a minute before I served it, I added the chopped parsley so as to not cook it too much.
I served it over the rice. Easy, spicy, sweet with the cranberries. Good stuff.
Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at Tuesday, January 11, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment