The Whole Bowl Meal  

Posted by Matt


So this last weekend, I went to The Whole Bowl food cart. They do one dish, made vegetarian and pretty hard. It tastes great, and so I tried to replicate it for dinner this week. Here is what I came up with.

1 1/2 cups brown rice
1 can black beans
1 can red beans
2 Serrano peppers
salt, pepper, cumin, mexican hot sauce
2 chicken breast
1 red onion
3 ribs celery
1 red bell pepper
1/3 pound chanterelles
paprika, garlic salt, black pepper, molasses, a splash of vinegar
salsa
Chinese citrus sauce
1 can black olives
chopped fresh cilantro
2 avocados
sour cream

I started off by making the two cans of beans a few hours a head of time to let them simmer and absorb the flavors. In the beans, I added the two Serrano's, chopped, and the salt, pepper, and cumin. I set this on low and when I started cooking the other stuff a few hours later, I turned up the heat to get a nice simmer and reduce the liquid as they were undrained. I then began cooking the brown rice in it's own pot.

In a large sauce pan with some oil, I tossed in the chicken breasts, diced fine, and the onion, celery, bell pepper chanterelles and the seasonings. I let this saute down until it was all cooked.

The rest was done fresh. I chopped up some cilantro, and some olives, sliced a bit of avocado up and topped off the layered bowl with these and a dollop of sour cream and the salsa, and store bought Chinese citrus sauce. Good stuff, and very filling.
Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 at Monday, October 17, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment