Homemade Torilla Tacos  

Posted by Matt


For Christmas I got a hand press tortilla maker along with a nice bag of Masa Harina to make the tortillas. This is initial effort.

For the tortillas, I mixed the flour with water as per the instructions on the bag, let them sit and used the tortilla press to flatten out the tiny balls of dough. One mistake I made here was that I didn't put down any wax paper, so the tortillas picked up some of the pewter color. I don't think it changed the taste, but it did make it more difficult to peel off the press.

In cooking, I used a standard stainless steel skillet, which caused the tortillas to stick a little. With a little added oil, they didn't stick, but they did fry instead. Still tasty though. I think a well seasoned iron skillet would have been ideal.

The tortillas were a little thick for the traditional taco size. I think if I used corn flour, they would have been better. As it was, the flour tortilla mix might have benefited from a good rolling pin.

The rest of this recipe was my pretty standard taco/burrito mix. Sauteed onion, bell peppers and chicken strips that were marinated in a spicy salsa mix. To top it off, I added lettuce, cilantro, lime juice, hot and hot sauce. Super simple.
Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on Monday, February 6, 2012 at Monday, February 06, 2012 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment