Naan  

Posted by Mike in , ,

After going to get Indian food with Jay last week I was reminded just how much I like naan. Naan, for the those of you who are out of the loop, is a flat bread popular throughout Central and Southeast Asia and is frequently served at Indian restaurants here in the States.

I found a good recipe for it on Allrecipes.com, and decided to give it a shot:


1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted
I decided to try making it up using the dough cycle on my bread machine which turned out pretty well, though I may go the manual route in the future since the dough is dense enough to have given the bread machine a few problems. I ended up having to help it out a little bit anyway. I first proofed the yeast in the water for 10 minutes, then added the remaining ingredients and started the machine up.
I let the resulting dough rise for an hour, than punched it down and divided it into small balls which I laid out on a tray and let rise for another 30 minutes. I omitted the garlic from this part of the recipe because there wasn't any around here.
Near the end of that time I started heating up an electric griddle to 400°, and melted some butter in a small bowl. Once the dough is risen you simply flatten it out with a rolling pin, butter one side, slap it down on the griddle, butter the other side, and flip it when it begins to bubble and turn brown. Then repeat until you've used up all the dough.
It turned out pretty well.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at Tuesday, July 29, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment