Flan  

Posted by Mike



For my next trick, I decided to take a crack at making flan. Well, I actually started it at the same time as the bread, but whatever. The basic recipe for flan is pretty simple. I used the recipe I found at Allrecipes here I mixed up the flan according to the instructions, differing only in that I added a couple more eggs to the mix to increase the density and mixed up all the ingredients in a blender instead of by hand. I also added a couple tablespoons of orange juice to the sugar as it was melting, which I saw suggested somewhere or other else.

I cooked the whole thing in a water bath to try to make sure it was cooked through more evenly. Important lesson I learned for the future: Add the water to the second pan after putting it in the oven. Also, trying to remove a pan full of sloshing, boiling hot water from an oven temporarily grants one superhuman concentration and dexterity. I forgot to cover the pan with aluminum foil when I put it in the oven, which is why I think the top (which became the bottom) turned out all brown like this.

Everything turned out fairly well, though the final product took a little coaxing to get out of the pan. It all looks like it should and tastes pretty good, so I'm ruling this a success.


I'd also like to take a moment to point out that I now possess the three most recent posts on the blog, and to chide the rest of you for dropping the ball so very badly. It's not like I'm going completely overboard, two of those posts are a week apart.

This entry was posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 at Saturday, August 30, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment