Maharaja Palace  

Posted by Matt in ,



5775 W Bell Rd Ste 5
Glendale, AZ 85308
Phone: (602) 547-1000


Today was the last day of the summer school semester, and that means the final test. As a group of my classmates and I sat around waiting for our tests to be graded to find out what our final grades in the class were, we decided to afterwards all go eat some Indian food for lunch. I proposed the Maharaja Palace where Jeremy and I have been a couple of times now.

I have only been to this place during the lunch hours and it has never been crowded. Also being there for lunch means that I have only had their lunch buffet and have never seen a menu.

When we first walked in, they let us choose where to sit and started us off with ice water. They told us to help ourselves to the buffet and by the time we piled our plates high and got back to the table, they had already delivered a basket full of naan, which is a flat bread cooked in their tandoor oven.

Thinking back to all the times I have been there, I can't remember a single bad dish. I one time had a chutney that was a bit strong, but it was easily cut down when I spread it on some naan. My absolute favorite item has been the tandoori chicken. It seems to be slow roasted chicken thighs and legs that have turned an awesome red color, with soft onions and cilantro on top. My next favorite would be the gulab jamun. This is a dessert item that is made of a small ball of fried bread that has been soaked in honey and rosewater. You can see this item in the little bowl in the picture below.


Also in this picture you can see some vegetable korma, basmati rice, cholay (curried chickpeas), curry chicken, and mutter kheema (minced lamb).

I would absolutely recommend this place if you have never had Indian food before. For one, it is good. Period. Two, everything I have had, at least today, has not been super spicy. Nothing overpowering. Nothing too strange. And three, it is cheap. The lunch buffet with tax and tip came out to be $10 per person. 10 bucks for a full belly that will last long into the evening.

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 7, 2008 at Thursday, August 07, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment