Barbe-fu  

Posted by Matt



I was scanning through an Alton Brown book I have, I'm Just Here for the Food, and I saw this recipe. Meat is expensive and tofu is not so I gave it a shot.


1 pound extra firm tofu 1 package hoagie rolls


1 package onion clover sprouts


1/2 pound Jack cheese


1/2 cup BBQ sauce


1/4 cup hot sauce


1/4 cup cider vinegar


1 Tbls minced garlic


Salt and Pepper


(3/4 cup dark beer, I did not include this in my recipe opting to use more BBQ, hot sauce and vinegar)



I started the day before to allow ample time to marinade. The first step was the drain the tofu. In order for it to absorb as much sauce as possible you first need to get out as much water as possible. I cut the tofu into 6 pieces length wise, layed them on a paper towel, put another paper towel on top, placed a baking sheet over it and a two cans of beans to weigh it down. I switched this out once after it became saturated over the coarse of 30 minutes.


While this was working, I mixed up the BBQ sauce, hot sauce, vinegar, and garlic. After squeezing the tofu dry, I placed it in a Tupperware container, poured on the sauce, and closed the lid. I gave it a good few turns to make sure the tofu had good sauce coverage, including the area between the slices. The next day, I heated a pan on the stove. Tossed on the tofu and let it sear on each side. During this time, I sliced and toasted the hoagies, and melted a bit of sliced jack cheese on each roll. Then I put it all together with the sprouts and topped with a little more BBQ sauce and ate it all up.


Cooking time took maybe 10 minutes. The recipe made 6 sandwiches. I made them in two sandwich batches on three consecutive days. The tofu keeps in the marinade during that time no problem.

This entry was posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 at Monday, March 28, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment