Mango, Cucumber Jicama Salad  

Posted by Matt


I made this the other night for dinner. The burrito was a variation on my other burritos but didn't turn out well so I'm not going to post that. The side, however, turned out much better. It was mostly easy to make, except for the mango which was a bitch to peel and cut into strips.

2 large ripe mangos
1 large cucumber
1 large jicama
2 limes, juiced
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp chilie powder
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

I started by peeling the cucumber and jicama and cutting them into 2 inch long, 1/2 inch wide strips. After eating some, I might try smaller strips next time. With the mango, I peeled the skin with a sharp knife. Then cut the strips into the slippery bastards, and tried to remove as much of the meat as I could get off. I nearly chopped a few fingers off when it slipped. If anyone else has a better technique for slicing and dicing mango, please let me know.
After getting that cut up, I added the salt chilie powder and cilantro and tossed with my hands. I've had it fresh and a day later and either way it is good. Very sweet, crisp, and spicy with the chili powder. It makes a perfect accompaniment to spicy beans and rice in the burrito. Some of the juice soaked into the burrito I had today and it was quite good. I may consider putting the salad IN the burrito for tomorrows dinner.
Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at Tuesday, May 10, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

As a second thought, I may try to use a shredder for the veggies next time. It might result in better shapes and better mixing though it could also cause too much juice to be released and make it more into a cold soup.

May 15, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Post a Comment