Asparagus Pesto and Chard Salad  

Posted by Matt


I tried to make a pesto the other night. This is my effort

1 package pasta
3/4 pound fresh asparagus
1/2 pound mushrooms
1 cup, packed fresh basil leaves
1 cup walnuts
1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
salt and pepper

For the Salad
1 large bundle rainbow chard
2 baby bok choy
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar


To make the pesto, I blended the basil, walnuts, olive oil, and garlic until it was smooth. Or as smooth as I could get it. I cooked the pasta in salty water. When the pasta had about 6 minutes left to cook, I tossed the mushrooms into the water. When it had about 4 minutes left, I tossed in the asparagus to cook all in the same pot. I then strained this, put it back in the pot and mixed in the yeast. I added the pesto and some salt and pepper to taste.

For the salad, I sauteed the garlic in the olive oil. Then I tossed in the chard and bok choy after giving it a rough chop. As this began to cook down and wilt, I added the vinegar and put a top on the large frying pan it was cooking in to help it steam down.

I also made corn with some butter and salt on the gas stove. This whole meal was excellent. No Parmesan needed.
Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 at Monday, May 16, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment