Pad Kee Mao and Veggie Spring Rolls  

Posted by Matt

 Muahhahaha! Successful Chinese meal made by me!

Though I did follow this recipe for the Drunken Noodles: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/dining/052grex.html

I did make some variations:
I used about 1.5x the amount of sauce that the recipe calls for.
Their recipe must have used a different type of noodle, because cooking for that long was over kill. I got some Wide Rice Noodles from Fubonn whose instruction read; cook in boiling water for 3 minutes, and then drain. You do need to keep this in some extra water to avoid them getting too sticky, or drain them and put them directly in the saute.
I used twice as many jalapenos, but could have done even more. It wasn't too spicy at all.
I didn't pick up any cilantro, though it would have been good. Instead I had thai basil, some other asian leafy herb, and some awesome mint leaves. Mint leaves are essential.
Finally, this recipe makes more than would fit in my large wok, so I cooked in batches. It is also good to add the noodles to the wok first, then the sauce, and let them cook until a couple parts start to brown on the bottom.
And again, I added extra sambal, so it definitely could have been spicier.


For the spring rolls:
1 package rice paper
Thai basil
Mint
3 carrots
1 cucumber
1 package scallions
rice vinegar
peanut sauce

The rice paper took a little practice. One recipe I read had you soak the rice paper for 5 minutes in boiling water. The package said to dip it in warm water for 5 seconds. I started with boiling water which made extracting the paper tricky. It would just come out of the water and stick together in a large clump. Eventually I learned the best method was to have warm water, dip the rice paper in for a literal second, just enough to get water to touch all parts, then lay it on a plate, add the shredded carrots, julienned cucumber and scallion, a touch of rice vinegar, the herbs and then wrap. After sitting for a minute while you composed, the rice paper became pliable and sticky. It was very easy to wrap up.
I purchased some peanut sauce to dip these in. Maybe not the best peanut sauce, but it was good enough, and easier than making it from scratch. I had too many other things going on in this recipe to worry about it.

Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 at Monday, April 15, 2013 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment