10 Bean Soup  

Posted by Matt


A bowl of mush with white stuff on it. but it tastes good. If you add smoked ham hock and sausage to anything it'll be good.

1 lbs 10 bean mix
2 smoked ham hocks
1 case italian hot sausage
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, diced
3 branches celery, chopped
water
Parmesan cheese
salt
pepper

The bean mix my mom sent me from Sprouts, but I'm pretty sure you can get it mostly anywhere that has bulk bins. I soaked the beans over night. Then earlier in the day, I added all the ingredients except the Parmesan with enough water to cover the beans. Half way through cooked I added more water. After cooking even, I added more water. Anytime I let the stuff sit, it would thicken up and so I added more water. It was almost a never ending bowl of bean soup. Anytime I took some out to eat, I would replace it with water, and I on my 5 bowl it still wasn't too dilute. Anyways, I'm off track. To cook the stuff, I just kept it on a low heat for about 4 hours. Right before serving, I pulled out the ham hocks, tore off all the skin and meat and fat, chopped it up and put it back in. I saved the knuckles for Einstein who gladly ate them all up. I also pulled out the sausage and chopped it up and but it back in. To top each bowl off I added Parmesan, salt and pepper.

I think next time I make this, I might skip the sausage. The flavor was rich enough without it. Instead I might add some hot pepper or maybe chipotle with adobo sauce to increase the smokiness.
Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 at Sunday, October 17, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment