Inidan Lentil Curry  

Posted by Matt


And from Thailand we move a little west. Here I tried my hand at an Indian lentil curry. As with the Biryani chicken curry thing I made a few months ago, the main seasoning came from a jar of Madras curry paste that I got from the international market a few blocks away.

1 lbs yellow lentils
1/2 lbs split peas
1 bag frozen peas
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 handfull spinach
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 Tbsp Madras curry paste
water
rice
salt

Also like the green Thai curry, the left overs were much more curry like. Given time the split peas and the lentils broke down some more and made a better sauce. To make this, I added the fresh veggies to a pot and sauteed them in the curry paste. Then I added the lentils and peas. Before the lentils burned, I added the tomatoes and enough water to cover all the ingredients. The lentils and peas both soaked up a lot a water and thickened the whole thing up. The rice was just standard rice. In the future if I make this again, which I should because I only used half the jar of curry paste, I'd use a lot more stewed tomatoes. They were by far my favorite part of the dish and there was not nearly enough there.
Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 at Sunday, October 17, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment